How times flys..
In the next week i have been creating art as loveartpix for 4 years. I feel each year I create art I am learning new techniques, styles and different ways to express myself. As well as my art continuing to grow, so is my contact list of friends and inspiring people I meet which help me to develop as a person.
I am not going to lie and say that everything is plain sailing. As I connect with more people and try to reach out and help others through my art it really does take its toll on my health. I am continuously trying to manoeuvre myself around objects I feel affect neurodivergents like myself on a daily basis.
Many times this year I have thought to quit putting myself out there through my art, blogs, articles and stop the projects I have undertaken and just try to really focus on myself and live in my protective bubble! There have been so many set backs I have faced through communication issues which have had such an impact on myself that I thought that ‘this is not going to end well’! The truth is, it’s become my focus in life to keep pushing my art and my story and help as many people as I can and without it I would be in a worse position with my condition – it’s my hyper focus! If i didnt do this i dont know what i would do as it has become my pattern and routine and my fixation.
Processing and understanding my autistic condition and also going through the diagnosis process of ADHD in the past year has been one of the hardest things I have had to deal with. Creating art at times has really been a life saver – I say this in a very matter of fact way.
I feel this art journey I am on is intertwined with my diagnosis/condition and I will continue to promote how art therapy helps me daily in the hope my story may helps others.
There has been so many things that stand out over the past year and I feel each year I push boundaries. I rarely take the time to sit back and process the things I have achieved as each goal i complete I am already moving onto the next – or rather already multitasking many art projects!!
Here is a list of some of the things that stand out to me over the past year –
- Created positive artwork for new school launch in Ashton to be put in reception area. Artwork unveiled by local Mayor – http://loveartpix.co.uk/safestart-school-launch-art-unveiling-22-10-21/
- Donated 3 pieces of art to RMHC for the annual fundraising gala which raised just short of £5k. The event raised £258k – http://loveartpix.co.uk/an-evening-in-wonderland-for-rmhc-19-11-21/
- Artwork I donated to the Maggie Oliver Foundation for the annual fundraising gala was bought anonymously before the auction for over double the expected price of £1k – http://loveartpix.co.uk/the-maggie-oliver-foundation-pain-into-power-fundraising-gala-26-11-21/
- Having an article written by Lorraine Worsley-Carter MBE covering art therapy and it’s impact on me and my art installation at Oxford road station, featured in Quays Life magazine – https://quayslife.com/people/loveartpix-a-poster-boy-for-art-therapy/
- Asked by Northern to create a new art collection for Victoria station which was unveiled by the High Sheriff of Greater Manchester – http://loveartpix.co.uk/iconic-manchester-unveiling/
- My first feature in ‘The Manc’ for my artwork at Victoria station and helping raise awareness of autism – https://themanc.com/art-and-culture/dull-commuter-thoroughfare-given-colourful-makeover-by-local-artist-with-autism/
- My story covered by ‘On Your Doorstep: Manchester’ for Autism Awareness week – https://www.onyourdoorstepmcr.co.uk/here-mcr-artist-loveartpix-tells-doorstep-mcr-about-his-artwork-up-in-victoria-station
- Being invited to the declaration of the new High Sheriff of Greater Manchester at the Lowery Theatre, Manchester – http://loveartpix.co.uk/the-high-sheriff-declaration-a-part-of-history-02-05-22/
- The artwork I created and gifted to war hero Harry Billinge MBE LdH was placed next to Harry’s coffin at his National funeral. RIP Harry – http://loveartpix.co.uk/rip-harry-billinge-mbe-ldh-a-national-treasure-03-05-22/
- I have created a pop art sticker that is part of my ‘Around the world inclusive project’ which has seen my artwork reaching all corners of the world giving people the chance to get creative – http://loveartpix.co.uk/pop-art-around-the-world-inclusive-project-29-06-22/
- Tribute artwork I created in memory of Harry Billinge is at the Normandy Memorial in France. How I will continue my relationship with the foundation through my art donations and carry on with Harry’s campaign.
- My involvement with local school in helping pupils who maybe struggling with mental health/neurodiverse conditions through art therapy – http://loveartpix.co.uk/yes-sir-helping-inspire-the-next-generation-03-08-22/
- Being invited into strangeways prison to discuss art therapy and collaborating with a project with the prisoners – http://loveartpix.co.uk/strangeways/
- 30 metre ‘Pro Manchester’ art design I created unveiled at Manchesters Victoria station by the High Sheriff of Greater Manchester – http://loveartpix.co.uk/an-art-unveiling-without-the-artist-30-08-22/
- The Normandy Memorial Trust flew up Harry Billinges family from Cornwall to meet me and see my tribute artwork to Harry on show at The Nags Head pub in Manchester – http://loveartpix.co.uk/meeting-harrys-family/
- Donated artwork for auction to the NSPCC for their annual gala fundraiser at The Midland Hotel, Manchester which helped go to the grand total of £87k
Each year as an artist I seem to have new goals as my art career is heavily dependent on how my condition affects me at that time.
Moving forward, I am looking forward to my projects in Strangeways Prison, The Town House Ashton (homeless house) and local primary school to see what can be achieved. Hopefully in the next year I will see my first art exhibition come into fruition in which I will be promoting art therapy and the positive impact it has had on my life, also the neurodivergent condition and how it affects me and try to help spread awareness.
One of my ongoing projects I am looking forward to completion is my ‘around the world inclusive’ pop art sticker project. I am really enjoying the inclusive aspect and its great to see people get involved and be creative – and see all the different parts of the world
I have a couple of collaborative projects coming up, one of which is with Born Anxious which will involve helping raise awareness for autism with proceeds going to charity which i am hoping will have a positive impact.
So many more positive projects lined up and lots of goals as far as helping change how society looks at the neurodivergent condition as well as understanding it better myself. There is so much that needs to be changed so I feel as i live it, that it only right i should do my bit for others who struggle.
To everyone I have met who has helped or supported me in one way or another on this journey, I want to say a huge thank you.
As cliche as it might sound, please remember to be kind, as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.